Reproduction in Organisms
1. Which is not true for life span of an organism?
(a) Period from birth to natural death of an organism
(b) It is necessarily correlated with size of organisms
(c) It may be very short
(d) Senescence is a phase of life span
2. In asexual reproduction
(a) Single parent is involved
(b) Gametic fusion is present
(c) Variations are produced
(d) Both (a) and (c)
3. Simple plants such as algae reproduce through special reproductive structure i.e.,
4. In Penicillium special asexual reproductive structure produced is
5. The most significant value of vegetative propagation is that
(a) It enables rapid production of genetic variation
(b) It is a means of producing a large population of individuals genetically identical to the parent
(c) It ensures that the progeny is safe from attack of pests and diseases
(d) It involves reduction division
6. Which of the following vegetative propagule is produced in Agave?
7. The plant/s propagated through root is/are
(a) Sweet potato
(d) All of the above
8. A leaf cell of a flowering plant has 22 chromosomes, then the number of chromosome would be
(a) 11 in gametes
(b) 22 in gametes
(c) 44 in embryo
(c) All of these
9. Which one of the following shows clear cut vegetative, reproductive and senescent phases?
(a) Annuals only
(b) All perennials
(c) Annuals and biennials
(d) All flowering plants
10. Which one of the following statement is incorrect?
(a) Unicellular sex organs are present in Marchantia
(b) Internal fertilization occurs in all embryophytes
(c) Development of endosperm is post-fertilisation event in angiosperms
(d) In monoecious plant, flowers are unisexual
11. In chara, male sex organ is
12. Which of the following plant is monocarpic?
13. Which of the following is the vital link that ensures continuity of species between organisms of one generation and the next?
(a) Male gamete
(b) Female gamete
14. Pick odd one out w.r.t. monoecious plants
15. Sexual reproduction is
(b) Less complex
(c) Less elaborate
(d) Less rapid
16. Leaf buds are found in
17. Which one of the following is correctly matched?
(a) Chlamydomonas – conidia
(b) Yeast – zoospores
(c) Onion – bulb
(d) Ginger – sucker
18. Meiosis takes place in
19. Which of the following propagate through leaf-tip?
(a) Walking fern
(d) Sprout-leaf plant
20. Embryo in sunflower has
(a) Two cotyledons
(b) Many cotyledons
(c) No cotyledons
(d) One cotyledon
21. Which of the following is a polygamous plant?
22. Vegetative propagation in mint occurs by
23. Which one of the following plants is monoecious?
24. Why is vivipary an undesirable character for annual crop plants?
(a) It reduces the vigour of the plant
(b) It adversely affects the fertility of the plant
(c) The seeds exhibit long dormancy
(d) The seeds cannot be stored under normal conditions for the next season
25. Vegetative propagation in Pistiaoccurs by
26. Endosperm is consumed by developing embryo in the seed of
27. Which of the following is resistant to enzyme action?
(a) Leaf cuticle
(c) Wood fibre
(d) Pollen exine
28. Which one of the following pairs of plant structures has haploid number of chromosomes?
(a) Egg nucleus and secondary nucleus
(b) Megaspore mother cell and antipodal cells
(c) Egg cell and antipodal cells
(d) Nucellus and antipodal cells
29. The role of double fertilization in angiosperms is to produce
30. In a cereal grain, the single cotyledon of embryo is represented by
31. The eyes of potato tuber are
(a) Axillary buds
(b) Root buds
(c) Flower buds
(d) Shoot buds
32. Wind pollination is common in
33. Nucellar polyembryony is reported in species of
34. What would be the number of chromosomes of aleurone cells of a plant with 42 chromosomes in its root tip cells?
35. Which one of the following pair is wrongly matched?
(a) Bryophyllum – leaf buds
(b) Agave – bulbil
(c) Penicillium – conidia
(d) Water hyacinth – runner
36. What is common between vegetative reproduction and apomixes?
(a) Both occur round the year
(b) Both produces progeny identical to the parent
(c) Both are applicable to only dicot plants
(d) Both bypass the flowering phase
37. Vegetative propagation through root does not occur in
38. Find odd one out w.r.t. plants where grafting is performed
39. The asexual production of seed is called
40. Hormogonia are the vegetative reproductive structures of
41. A scion is grafted to a stock. The quality of fruits produced will be determined by the genotype of
(c) Both stock and scion
(d) Neither stock nor scion
42. Adventitious buds are present at tip of leaves in
43. The vital link that ensure the continuity of species is
44. Cell division is itself a mode of reproduction in
(a) Protista and all fungi
(b) Monera, fungi and higher plants
(c) Protista and monera
(d) Protista only
45. The process of fusion of two vegetative nuclei is called
46. Which of the following is not an artificial method of vegetative reproduction?
47. In grafting, scion belongs to
(a) Plant having superior or desirable characters
(b) Plant having well developed root system
(c) Plant resistant to diseases
(d) Both (b) and (c)
48. A piece of plant part which is used in tissue culture is called as
49. The study of formation, growth and development of a new individual from an egg is known as
50. Parthenogenesis is defined as the development of an organism directly from
(a) Egg without fertilization
(b) Synergids without fertilization
(c) Fruits without fertilization
(d) Fruits without pollination